Wednesday, August 3, 2011

No One You-er Than You


“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.”  ~Dr. Seuss

So this evening at yoga, we misplaced one of the children's name tags. (The child happens to be the only boy in the class. ) The others were helping me look for it and we couldn't find it. So I apologized & jokingly offered him MY name tag and asked him if he wanted to be me for the night.

He shook his head, said "No way!" and quickly gave me back my name tag.
 
One of the other students said she would like to be me-because I know so much about Yoga. Then another said she'd like to be me too because I'm kind of funny. Another said I'm very funny and then another argued that I am silly rather than funny.
 
The banter went on until the young boy spoke up again. He said "I want to be me-but I still think you're cute!" ( As you can see, this one is a charmer-he knows just when to give a compliment. Its not easy being the only 6 year old boy in the yoga class!)
This exchange was so telling. It tells me that first, they are really paying attention even when you think they are not. It also re-enforces how important an adult's influence can be on a young child, and that we as educators cannot ever take that responsibility lightly.
 
It also drives home the importance of allowing children to develop self-confidence & to be their own person. The way that we do that the most effectively? By allowing them to do things-to succeed- and also to fail-and to learn from their mistakes. This helps build not only confidence, but characteristics they can identify with.
 
Too many times we are quick to "help" our kids avoid pain or circumvent uncomfortable situations. We let them win at games, do not allow them to experience consequences and do not effectively teach them how to handle anger & conflict.
 
The truth is, the world is not always a friendly place. There is competition, corruption and lots of frustrated people running around looking for a target to vent on. We can implement all the Anti-Bullying and Character Ed programs we want-but this will not ever teach them how to be confident in themselves. It will teach them the concepts-but not the lesson. The lessons are learned and character is built only through experience.
 
We cannot protect our students & children from or isolate them from every last bully, bad influence or friend who will use them. Instead, we have to be right beside them & give them skills to confidently navigate through the unpleasantness they will experience; we have to let them know we trust them to make choices and to set boundaries and if they make a bad choice they can change it. At the same time, we need to remember to show them how to still embrace, appreciate and look for the fun, adventure & beauty of Life.


They need to know that we are there to help if they need it and we will come to a point where we will have to be brave enough to let go and let them fly. If we show fear & frustration they will only learn to be afraid & frustrated. If we show confidence, then they will learn to be confident.
 
Tonight, every child who said they'd like to be me, for the reasons they perceived to be fun, or as good qualities, also told me that they would only want to be me for maybe just the class or maybe a day, and then go back to being themselves. I'm so glad they said that. That shows that they are supported & that they "get it."
 
And I'm thinking I would like to be more like them when I grow up.
 



.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Note : This site is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to "amazon.com"
** CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.