Friday, September 23, 2011

Wild Things

Lauren: My "Wildest Thing of All"
I have always loved reading and telling stories. One of my favorite Stories of all time is "Where the Wild Things Are".

Before I became a yoga teacher, I would read this story to my young sons, and they would feel inspired to become the wild monsters as I told the story using voices and animated expressions. Since then, this book has survived the love of many children, several relocations and even an apartment flood to become a permanent fixture  in my personal library and in my children's yoga programming.

My daughter (pictured at left) suggested it as our "Story Of The Month" because as a little girl, she did the same thing her brothers did, 15 years before she was even thought of. She would become a "Wild Thing" spontaneously and suddenly as the story was being told.

The "Wild Thing" Pose is what I like to call a 'freestyle' pose and allows a child to freely move as their bodies want to and are able to.

 Listen to the story here and practice the 'Wild Things' Poses with your child. As you tell & move with the story, it becomes a memory not only in their minds and imaginations, but also in their growing bodies.

Tell us what other stories you enjoy with your child! Leave a comment below and I will suggest various movements and poses to do that go with the story!

For more information on children's adaptive yoga contact: barbara@bodylogique.com


.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Note : This site is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to "amazon.com"
** CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.