Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Keeping Teens Engaged: Active vs Passive Learning



"What I hear, I Forget. What I see, I remember. What I do, I understand. " ~Confucius





One of the reasons I love teaching yoga to kids is because its dynamic. It gives them a balance between movement & down time. It gives them permission to move, engage & to re-connect with themselves-their bodies, their senses, their thoughts & feelings. It is an active learning experience. I've been able to design fun interactive movement games for the purpose of re-enforcing sensory integration & introducing these concepts of health, stress and relaxation, social and emotional learning and more.

 But the truth is, in the world we live in, kids would much rather be in front of a hand held game or some other form of electronic entertainment then listening to me sing or watch me fly like a bird, sway like a tree or walk like a bear. The older the children get, the harder it becomes to keep their attention, and when we hit the teen years, (whether you are talking about a 'neurotypical' teen or one with challenges,) you know how hard it is to get them to pay attention to much of anything non-electronic. I can feel it and I know when I've 'lost' them. I have to be over the top or in their world in some way or they won't even look at me. On average, I use about 75% of my creative (and physical) energy keeping them engaged in what we are doing, and the other 25% actually doing the activities.


I am a firm believer that movement & outdoor play is still the best way to help a child grow, engage and learn & that Yoga in the classroom is an excellent idea and one solution to a growing problem of keeping children active in the learning process.

We hear so much about 'unplugging' the kids and getting them involved in physical activity and nature and I am in full agreement with this as I have seen this to be helpful. But we can clearly see where we are going as far as electronics and technology. While encouraging health, movement & connection to nature, we still have to teach our kids how to be responsible with technology and how use it for learning and communicating in a positive way. We of course have to be realistic with our expectations and strike a balance between the outdoor and indoor worlds.

I also know that in order to educate, we have to meet a person where they are. What if 'outside' is simply not where your children or students are ?

What about a child's indoor environments such as in a classroom where they are expected to sit still for many hours each day, be quiet and passively 'absorb' information? What about the school districts, administrations or individual educators that are opposed to bringing more movement into the classroom, whether it be a budget issue, a time constraints or personal beliefs? How do we keep the attention of these students? Is there a creative way to incorporate electronics & other technology to help keep kids stay actively engaged in their own learning process as we gradually engage them with each other and the outside world?

One teacher thinks so.

  Caitlin Tucker is a High School English teacher from California who has listed some fantastic strategies for keeping her high schoolers engaged by incorporating & using the technology that they love and relate to. As much as I encourage movement and outdoor activities, I love her creative thinking for indoor learning and I think you will too. Read Caitlin's article here:
"Fighting Engagement Deficit Disorder"

** What are some of your ideas to keep teens engaged, with or without technology? Please leave a comment below!







.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Note : This site is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to "amazon.com"
** CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.