Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Hat Game: A Lesson in Labels



Earlier today, I was talking with a yoga teacher in Vancouver, Canada about working with children with autism. In the course of the conversation, she said something that struck a chord with me: 

"I know those labels can be useful for getting services and designing supports, but as soon as the children enter the studio, I put the labels away and just observe them as we participate in class together. They are extraordinary individuals and we can learn so much from them."

We try so hard to eliminate labels, but I think the bigger problem is that the labels are misinterpreted. I would like to see all of us keep an open mind (and heart) when we are working with children that come to us with or without a label. Just try to observe, and see what you can learn from them.

I would also like to see this lesson extend to all people, and be taught in classrooms as soon as the children are old enough. We all have to live together on this planet, and we might as well understand how to approach & interact with each other. 

I am reminded today of an activity that I used many years ago to teach my adult evening class of Medical Assistants the concept of labels.

Its called "The Hat Game" and was shown to me by Cheryl, my co-teacher at the time. The exercise works for more mature, neuro-typical children ages 12 and up as well as adults.  (Its not recommended for children under 12.) Its perfect to incorporate into yoga classes, home school learning or traditional classrooms. 

You need some long strips of paper (about 3" x 20") that can be made into "Hats" (or headbands) and a magic marker. You should have one paper hat for each student or participant.

Measure the paper around a student's head to figure out how large to make the hats. Then, with the magic marker, clearly write a label on each hat and under the label write a short direction as to how to respond to that person. Some labels that I have used: (you can modify to fit your group.)

Clown:  (Laugh at me)
Important person: (Defer to me)
Stupid Person: (Ignore Me)
Funny Person: (Laugh at Me)
Nerd: (Insult Me)
Helpless person: (Pity Me)
Boss: (Obey me)
Annoying Person: (Avoid me)

Fasten the hats with tape or staples.

To do the activity: Explain to the group that you have some hats with labels on them and each person will get one to wear.

They are NOT allowed to look at their own hat/label.

They are NOT allowed to tell anyone what their hat/label says.

You will be given an activity to do (or to plan) and as you do the activity, everyone must treat each other as their labels say to.

In my group, I gave 12 adults,  15 minutes to plan details to an outing and decide where they were going, who was driving, what they were doing, how much money to bring, etc.  These were the only instructions I gave, and I told them once they had their hats, I was not allowed to intervene and I also had to treat everyone as their hat label. I placed a hat on each head and started the timer. I video taped the exercise and showed the students later.

Here's what happened: At first things look normal and then, as everyone treated each other as their hat label, within about 5 minutes, the participants actually became their label.  I mean their personalities and behaviors changed, and in most of the cases drastically, to fit their hat label.

I wish I still had the video tape, because what I saw was astounding.

The most outspoken student in the class wound up (unintentionally) getting the "Stupid person ignore me" label-and was alarmed and confused at first and then, (this was an honors student- a mom with 3 grown kids) by the middle of the exercise sat back in her chair, stuck her fingers in her ears and said "Fine. I'm gonna ignore you all too." and she did.

The student who got the "Funny Person-Laugh at me" label was somewhat shy and serious, and by the end of the exercise she took on a somewhat slapstick demeanor and was pausing after everything she said to wait for the laughter.

The most memorable was the person I gave the "Important person-defer to me" label to. This young man had self-esteem, financial and family challenges, (and I did give this label to him on purpose) and as I watched the interaction, I saw his posture improve, and his voice get clearer and he actually would make eye contact with the rest of the group (something he rarely did) as he led the discussion. When the exercise was over and we reviewed the tape, he couldn't believe it himself.

I actually had to stop the exercise before the time was up, because  at one pint it did start to get emotional. After I stopped it, I had each student tell us what they noticed, how they felt about the treatment they received and then try to guess their own label. The students gave some powerful insights. I made sure there were no hard feelings when we ended, and I reminded them that in their line of work, dealing with people who are sick, scared frustrated and some dying, to never forget that many times, its how we treat others that they become their labels-rather than the other way around.

At the end of the year, I was told by my class, that of everything I taught them, this exercise had the most impact.

What are some exercises and activities that you use to teach your students the true impact of treating people like a label they wear?

I welcome your comments!


Contact: barbara@bodylogique.com




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Note : This site is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to "amazon.com"
** CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.