Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Teaching Moments: After School

Barbara's Sons in 1990
After School Time outdoors



The child supplies the power but the parents have to do the steering. 
                                                                              ~Benjamin Spock 


Parents today are more educated, aware and  involved than ever with their kid's education, in spite of the fact that they are working harder, for longer hours and have busier schedules than ever.

Many have used one form or another of  after-schooling to help kids stay engaged in learning.

My daughter and I were interviewed recently for an article about After-Schooling, that was published online today. I found it interesting to see all the different ways that after school time can be spent.

After schooling is a term for a type of homeschooling, where parents and caregivers use hands-on experience, tasks or activities to re-teach and re-enforce the same subjects their kids are learning, (or not learning), in their classrooms. (For those of you who are 40+, back in our day, this was called "spending time with the family"!) They say that "every moment is a teaching moment" and after schooling offers an opportunity to create and maximize teaching moments.

Since I first became a mother in 1983, I have always considered my first "job" in this role, to be a protector from danger, and my second, as an educator. The times that stand out most in my memory are the ones where I've shared some skill, historic site, useful fact or legendary story with my kids, through a leisure or play activity. That look of "Ah-ha!" on their faces, and to know they are "getting" it has been a great motivator for me to find as many of these teaching moments as I can.

I have carried this over into my children's programming and even my professional development workshops to ensure that they are fun & engaging to the participants, and that something of value or personal importance is learned during our time together. 

"Education at its best is a partnership between schools and parents", the article says, and I wholeheartedly agree. You can read the article here: "Afterschooling" no Punishment

I'm curious to know how you, as a parent, use quality after school time with your kids to support and supplement their education? 

Please tell us in the comments section below.


Click the links to learn more about our children's programming and professional development workshops.


Contact and Connect with us



 .









0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Note : This site is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to "amazon.com"
** CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.