Thursday, January 10, 2013

SHARK bingo game [free printable]


Totally coincidentally, my son has been reading a lot about sharks. I seized the opportunity to explore different species of these toothy swimmers, with a little MORE reading (I love an excuse to go to the library) and a fun game.


Before we played our game, we read a perfect book to teach us about some of the 350 different kinds of sharks. Gail Gibbons' book taught us about some of the biggest and smallest sharks, what they eat (including whether they're likely to eat us), and the anatomy of a shark.

Download six SHARK bingo game cards and calling cards free here.
When we'd finished the book, I had my son select one of six SHARK bingo game cards I'd made; I picked another one. Then, I shuffled the call cards and opened a bag of Swedish Fish gummy candies (our bingo markers).


One at a time we drew the call cards and placed a fish over the shark on the card (and the FREE space, of course!). My son got five in a row before I did and was declared the winner. Our prize? He got to eat some of the gummies!


Two of my son's favorite chapter book series have featured some of these amazing fish. The Ready Freddy book taught us about the prehistoric Megalodon. The Magic School Bus book taught us loads of shark facts. My son (and I) recommend both books for able readers interested in learning more.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Note : This site is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to "amazon.com"
** CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.