Monday, February 20, 2012

3 Minute Neck Massage

I was watching my daughter do her homework yesterday, and I noticed her posture. She was leaning to one side, her one leg folded under her and her head resting in her free hand. A little while later she told me she had a headache. Instead of giving her an aspirin, I asked her to sit down and I placed my hands on her shoulders. Just as I thought: her neck and upper back muscles were completely constricted and hard as a rock!

I placed one of my home made hot packs around her neck and then I spent about 10 minutes kneading out the knots with my hands. She started to relax and told me about her day, which was a particularly stressful one for her. At the end of the 10 minutes I asked her how she felt and she said she was much better. She didn't have a headache any more. When she went back to her work, her posture was much better.

My daughter had not even realized that she was stressed, and her outward posture and headache were her own body's signs of a stress response. The most useful skill I have learned through yoga practice over the years is how to recognize the signs of stress in my own body and how to head it off before it gets out of control. I believe that this is a vital Life Skill that we can easily teach our students and children.

Stress related illnesses count for at least $300 billion each year in health care costs &  missed work. About half of Americans (48%) report lying awake at night due to stress. (Source: American Psychological Association study, 2009). To combat this, Americans fill more than 50 million prescriptions for sleeping pills and spend more than $600 million on over-the-counter sleep-inducing supplements.

Stress in children is now on the rise with and estimated 45% of school age children reporting feeling worried & stressed and 61% of teens reporting feeling stressed. All of these children reported physical symptoms such as stomach or headaches and nightmares. However, only 17%-28% of  the parents polled acknowledged that their children's behavior or symptoms could be stress related. These numbers show the huge disconnect between our own views of stress and how we view the effects of stress on our kids.

It’s difficult for both adults and children to concentrate on work and be/do their very best when their mind is racing and body is aching. Physically, the upper back, spine, back of head, shoulders and neck seem to be the areas where the most stress and tension builds up, so those are the areas of the body that need the most relief. When we are more relaxed, we stay well longer and accomplish more.

Exercise, hydration and monitoring the types and amounts of foods that are eaten are 3 ways to relieve stress. Another option is a simple 3 minute massage.

While getting a professional massage can do wonders for reducing stress levels and clearing one's head, it may not be logistically or economically practical on a regular basis. No worries. You can learn to do this yourself.

So here is the simple process that I showed my daughter. You can learn it for yourself and teach your students how to do it for themselves too.


3 Minute Neck and Shoulder Massage Video

.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Note : This site is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to "amazon.com"
** CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.