Monday, February 13, 2012

Making it Personal

Jedi Warrior Pose builds confidence!
One of my favorite aspects of my work is the family interactions during private yoga sessions. The students and the families give me such insight and it is a great thing for me to learn something unique and personal from every family I work with.

Last summer, I created a customized, adaptive yoga program for a young man based on "Star Wars", something he loved and understood. He responded so well to many of the activities and characters, especially the imagery of the "Stormtroopers" (disrupters)  "Jedis" (restorers of Peace). I made up a daily sequence for him to practice to help him build strength, balance and to feel more in control of situations and transitions.

The set was a series of  "Warrior" poses, and I called it the "Jedi Sequence".  There was a poem that went with it that we called the Jedi Chant. Jack has used this set and its imagery in situations at school, as a familiar way to maintain or regain a sense of inner calm during turmoil or when he needs time to process a situation.

Sometimes, when working with children on the spectrum, its a challenge to explain the deeper concepts and self-evaluation that goes along with the asana (pose) practice. This is where family support is so vital to the process of learning yoga or any therapeutic/educational activity.

Jack's mother was recently telling someone about a situation:

"Monday afternoon, Jack explained to me that kids at school were being mean. Kids were butting in the bathroom line. I asked him if he told them to stop, they were being rude. He said no. I told him to stand up for himself, that it's okay to assert himself and say that something isn't right. If that doesn't work, then go to the teacher.

I was reminded of his 'Warrior Poses' from Barbara, Jack's "Jedi Sequence & Chant":

"I am Strong, I am Bold, My Own Power I can hold, I open My Heart, I protect My Soul, I spread Peace Wherever I go."

We've discussed this as a family many times before, but I think it's a mantra that can work for many of us, not just those with Special Needs.

We've explained it like this:
  • I am Strong (in my brain and body)
  • I am Bold (without fear, courageous)
  • My Own Power I can hold (I can keep my emotions appropriate & not let anyone take my power from me. If I let a bully or a negative situation get to me, I am letting him take my power from me)
  • I open My Heart (be loving)
  • I protect my Soul (don't let anyone take advantage of you)
  • I spread Peace Wherever I go (talk nicely, respect others).
This is what it means to us and our family."

This mom was able to help Jack understand a stressful situation, ways to navigate it and reduce his anxiety about it by beautifully personalizing the "Jedi" imagery.

The important thing to understand about yoga or any other method of  learning, for adults as well as children, is not so much to learn the activity, (in this case the poses) or even the rhyme. The "Chant" is just a way for the poses to be remembered in order. The poses or movements are a way for the body to understand the words. But the most powerful thing of all is that this family sat and talked about what it personally meant to them. They applied it to their life and a specific situation in such a way that the child could effectively use these tools.  This adds much more value to a generic lesson. Without that support and insight, the movement sequence is just that-another movement sequence. It must be meaningful to the individual practicing/doing it or they will not be engaged nor motivated to try/do it again.

This week, in every aspect of life, look for more ways to 'make it personal': build personal meaning into the activities, lessons and tools that you give to yourself , your students and children. This is ultimately how they will learn to broaden their problem solving skills and understand how to better navigate through the rough spots and overcome life's bigger challenges.

*I would be happy to send a copy of the "Jedi Sequence" to anyone who would like one. Please e-mail your request to:

barbara@bodylogique.com


.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Note : This site is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to "amazon.com"
** CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.